Tuesday 15 September 2015

Little Veggie Mobile

My sister-in-law also had a baby this year. She had bought a pattern for a baby mobile along with the materials and asked me if I would crochet it for her. I said I'd give it a shot and took the materials home.

There were five pieces to crochet. 

Ethel the Eggplant.



Ruby the Radish.



Piper & Pete the Petite Peas.




Carl the Carrot.




Roux the Rabbit.



All in all, they were pretty easy to make. I didn't stuff Ruby enough so she was a little flimsy. The peas were tricky because the greens were two different types of yarn, causing the peas to be smaller than they should have been for the pod. When assembling the mobile, they weren't heavy enough to counter the weight of Ethel. I had to stuff some of the fiber fill behind them in the pod and to add more weight, I put an extra crochet hook I had in the back of the pod. It worked beautifully! The hook added the weight needed and gave a firmness to the pod as well. 


Carl was the easiest to crochet. He worked up quickly and I had finally figured out how to sew the eyes.

Putting it together was tricky. The pattern said to hang the mobile from a hook so as to get the proper weight distribution between all the veggies. The only problem was I did not have a hook on which to hang it. So I did the best I could holding it up every time I attached a new piece. When they were all attached, I needed both my hands to adjust and so I employed my husband's help. Like a champ he held it up for me as I moved it around and once it was perfect, he held it so I could get a picture of it.

I would make it again if I were asked, but would buy all the same type of yarn to avoid size and weight differences.

~Em

No comments:

Post a Comment